Thursday, January 24, 2008

Color Wonder-Full...



Antonio stayed home from school on his birthday, and he made some very beautiful paintings. One is called "Rainbow" and the other is "Bird Prints, Starfish and Dirty Rocks at the Beach"... That morning I was especially enthusiastic about the day... I began a small discussion with the boys that I have thought of many times since then. I asked each of the older boys why that day was special. Antonio immediately said it was because it was his birthday. Well, that was a good reason, but that was not the reason I was thinking of. Then, he asked if it was because it was also my birthday. No, that was also a good answer, but not the one I was looking for. Seeing that they were officially stumped I jumped in with my explanation. Each day, including that one, is special because of what it says in Psalm 118: 24 "This is the day that the Lord has made, I will rejoice and be glad in it." We need to thank God for each of the days He gives to us, along with all of the other things we need to be grateful for... warm homes and comfy beds to sleep in, vehicles to travel from one point to another, our family that loves us, the privilege of learning how to read and write, toys, books, etc... on and on we went. Giosaia even exclaimed excitedly how we need to thank God for "Buttons!!!" Absolutely. As we were discussing this I had a revelation of sorts. We need to be so grateful and give thanks for COLOR! I was amazed by this thought and mentioned it to the boys... "Can you imagine enjoying a black and white rainbow?" To which the two older ones said "no" in an "of course not" sort of way. The red of roses, the ranges of blues and greys in sky, sunsets, the deep chocolate brown of some of my children's eyes... each of these things remind us of this... to be marvelled enough to thank our God who created the hues that color our world. From the tiniest of bugs to the largest of animals, from the mountains to the valleys, from the youngest person to the oldest... all of it is full of color, and what a awe-inspiring pallet of wonder it is. Giving "credit where credit is due"... Thank you, God. Your creativity amazes me!!!

8 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing such a great lesson to teach ones kids...Thanks for sharing the paintings too.
    Happy Belated Birthday to both of you.
    Blessings
    Amber

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the paintings! Antonio has a wonderful talent!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We don't stop enough to enjoy God's beauty that's all around us! Thank you for sharing that sweet moment...and I'm so sorry I missed saying happy birthday...HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU!! All our love:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful mother you are--I'm sure they will remember that day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, the thought of a black and white rainbow is very poignant.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful moment for you and the boys. Great paintings too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very nice post! I also reflect on "this is the day the Lord has made" and I want to always "rejoice and be glad"! Glad for everything, even and especially colors!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful post! God's colors are so marvelous.

    ReplyDelete