Wednesday, June 18, 2008

My June Write-Away Contest Entry Is Complete...

The Longest Journey


“To everything there is a season, a time for every purpose under heaven…” Ecclesiastes 3:1

The longest season of my life so far has been motherhood. With its highs and lows, joys and tears, discomfort and pain, doubts and fears, I, first, watched myself saunter, climb, sprint, crawl, trudge, and sputter into womanhood, and then, again, into my role as “mommy”. It has been a journey unlike any I have ever read about in any travel book, but it has been the most rewarding, fulfilling, and memorable of any I have ever taken. ( And I am not even half way through it yet.)

The rewards have not been name-plated trophies or engraved plaques of appreciation. Rather, there have been those scattered opportunities to see my impact on these little blessings of mine. As my children change from helpless infants to mobile little people full of curiosity, innocence, openness, and bright-eyed wonder, I revel in their satisfaction over a job well done, or as they grasp the meaningfulness of a helpful hand, a kind word, a compliment, or a gesture of care. Watching them learn and grow is the incentive that fuels our family days. And remembering these sweet, refreshing incidences has been the key to keeping me energized and inspired to continue going mile after mile. As, it is a journey not just for me, but also for them.

There are certainly moments when I feel unappreciated, overworked, discouraged, and desperately needing some “oil of joy”, but, all in all, life is FULL. Kisses, hugs, smiles, singing, laughter, arguing, whining, angry outbursts, and pleas for forgiveness litter the hours that we, as a family, spend together. Each adds to my growth, our growth, and the character that takes us one step further along this highway called LIFE.

The “elements” may hinder me: avalanches of responsibility; downpours of misunderstandings and trials to limit my vision; icy conditions causing me to slip and slide, seemingly, uncontrollably into the unknown; “hit and runs” that may leave a scratch, total my peace, or graze me leaving me to wonder what happened… Each act as potholes formed along the way that make me wary to trust, love, hope. Yet, these do not fully determine my ability to make it to my destination. As Sir Winston Churchill once said, “Every day you may make progress. Every step may be fruitful. Yet there will stretch out before you an ever-lengthening, ever-ascending, ever-improving path. You know you will never get to the end of the journey. But this, so far from discouraging, only adds to the joy and glory of the climb.” In other words, “we also glory in tribulations, knowing that tribulation produces perseverance; and perseverance, character; and character, hope.” (Romans 5:3)

As I weather on, speeding, steaming, floating, or screaming, what I want most is to enjoy the ride and the scenery along the way. In all portions of the journey- bumpy, monotonous, nerve-wracking, or smooth- I want to relax and appreciate and be grateful, to soak it all in. I want to triumph in victories, persevere through those rough spots, and, in general, be “content in all circumstances” (Philippians 4:11).

“Godspeed, Blessings, Hope, And Joy!” to you, in whatever stage of journeying you are in…

16 comments:

  1. What lovely and good words to share. I am on a similar journey. Thanks again for commenting on my blog - book is called Traditional Papercutting the Art of Scherenschnitte by Susanne Schlapfer-Geiser. I borrowed it from my library. It does seem good - haven't read it cover to cover yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey.......I posted an ATC on my blog today that I cut with you in mind. Want to swap for that one? jan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha! I finally traced this back and found it! Thanks for sending it over :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is lovely, and I love all the expressive words used.

    I am constantly trying to remind myself to enjoy the ride. All too often I'm busy complaining about the rough terrain that I forget to look up and see the view. Thanks for this reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "I know God will not give me anything I can't handle. I just wish that He didn't trust me so much".

    Mother Teresa
    Indian (Albanian-born) humanitarian & missionary (1910 - 1997)

    Love You,
    La Donna

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations on the Honorable Mention! Your entry was beautiful and creative, just like you and all that you do:) Elaine

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very inspirational ; a lovely post. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think I commented here yesterday, but wanted to stop back to say CONGRATS on your runner-ups in the Scribbit contest!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Motherhood is a journey--for mom and child, isn't it. I especially like this description you made: "Watching them learn and grow is the incentive that fuels our family days. And remembering these sweet, refreshing incidences has been the key to keeping me energized and inspired to continue going mile after mile."

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congrats on your Scribbit award! And here's to enjoying the scenery on the journey . . .

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is so eloquent... you and I seem to have similar outlooks on motherhood. Thank you for the lovely thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  12. hello, all, thank you so much for your kind words. i am so surprised and pleased with the honorable mention as i have not written creatively for so long, and frankly, i knew lots of wonderful entries would be received. it was lots of fun. thank you, Scribbit and guest writer.

    Snippety, that was sweet of you. what about me made you cut that one, out of curiosity?

    My Ice Cream Diary, hang in there. none of us are perfect, and i go through my negative moments, too, but i have been learning the value of positive words and thoughts on this journey to parenting that i am in. it is not easy, but we are not alone if we allow God to help us, grow His character in us, and keep hanging on to His promises to never leave us or forsake us, to be our strength when we are weak, etc... been thinking about you and praying for you and your family as you wait for baby to arrive... blessings...

    ablsolutely love the quote, LaDonna, thanks. :-)

    Elaine, you are just such a blessing to have as a friend. thanks for joining me in my journeying. nice not to be alone. :-)

    and to all of you, God bless you, keep you, make His face shine upon you, and give you His tremendous peace. (Numbers 6:24-25) Enjoy this gorgeous (and HOT) day that the Lord has made.:-) (Psalm 118:24)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congratulations! Your entry, and your entire blog, is quite interesting. Enjoyed reading one of the winning entries.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you for sharing...I hear you and can so relate....

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is beautiful! I love your descriptions and how the chaos twists right into the peace that motherhood and life seem to be...thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wonderful post! I enjoyed the connections and the way it all came together.

    ReplyDelete