Saturday, October 25, 2008

Jean Sibelius Postcard From Nancy T...


I received this RAK (random act of kindness) postcard from my blogging friend, Nancy T., and really like it so much.

Here is some of the history regarding the man, Jean Sibelius, as taken from her blog found at http://neatcs.wordpress.com/2008/10/15/men-on-sunday-pca/ Enjoy!!!

"Jean Sibelius was definitely a clever one. He is probably most recognized for “Finlandia” from which came the melody for what I think is the National Finnish Hymn, one of my favorite melodies of all time. ( My Scandinavian friends can correct me on this). But it is said that his music is credited with playing a role in establishing the Finnish national identity.
Sibelius was born in 1865 in Finland and lived through more than half of the 20th Century. He died in 1957. One of the composers who took a direction slightly different from the norm of the 19th Century, he composed beautifully melodic pieces and tone poems. It was a simpler style with less harshly-defined thematic structure than his contemporaries were using. Sometimes criticized because his compositions lacked “complexity”, his scorn for his critics is expressed in this famous quote.
“Pay no attention to what critics say. Nobody ever put up a statue of a critic.”
I think it is unfortunate that Sibelius stopped writing music when he did. For the last 30 years of his life, not only did he stop writing, but would hardly even talk about music. Having worked on an 8th symphony in the late 1920’s, he apparently never finished it and no one ever heard a note or saw a page of manuscript. He is quoted as saying, “If I cannot write a better symphony than my seventh, it shall be my last.”'


I put that quote that is on the postcard in bold print, as I liked it so much. A very good reminder, to the one being criticized and also to the one DOING the criticizing... What do you want to be remembered for?

Thank you so much, Nancy!!! You are a blessing to me!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment