Tuesday, November 11, 2008

November 10, 2008-- A Day Of Remembering Loved Ones...

I am a day late, but yesterday was the 10th. It is a day that marks two events: one in my own personal life, which I will mention first, and also now reaches to my husband's side as well. Eight years ago, two months almost exactly to the day that my first son was born, my grandmother, Lydia, went to be with Jesus. (Oh, how sad I was that she did not meet him!)

I have always disliked the question "Who is your hero?" as I never really felt I had one except for people who had already lived and died, and whom I have never personally met. My list includes so many, some may seem cliché to you, but they are not to me. They are: Jesus, Jim and Elizabeth Elliot and the other missionaries whom have suffered and died for their faith in Jesus, the Apostle Paul, the disciples that personally knew and followed and learned directly from Jesus, Keith Green, Columbine victims, etc...

For years I thought on this subject, wracking my brain to come up with an answer to this question. I had a hard time. There are so many special people in my life, who have done so many special things, for me or others, but I could not just extend that "label" to just anyone.

So, when my Abuela, grandmother in Spanish, died, I thought long and hard about how much I would miss her, how life would be different without her: family functions would be void of her "specialties", and her short but sweet phone calls would come to a stop. Her crafts would not be included in Christmas gifts, and no longer could we pop in for a visit and expect to be spoiled by her cooking.

More than anything, what I miss is not the phyical things she offered, but rather, the spiritual things she offered. She was a "spiritual warfare" warrior. She spent more time on her knees praying for her family and loved ones more than ANYONE I have EVER met. I remember sleeping over her house as a child and waking up in the middle of the night to hear her still praying after hours and hours on her knees. She was a woman who knew how to pray for others, to "stand in the gap" and love them in this way. Her family benefitted from her nightly vigils, and when she passed, it was clear that things would be different.

This simple and humble, though somewhat headstrong, woman left a legacy I hope I can also leave to my own children, to my grandchildren, even to my great-grandchildren. I want them to know...
"You need to want Jesus MORE than anything else in this world..." more than food, more than sleep, more than friends, more than money, more than a job, more than...

Jesus is the MOST IMPORTANT PERSON IN THIS WHOLE WORLD.

My Abuela Lydia is my "hero". I miss her terribly, even after 8 years. I still have moments when I cry to hear her voice, to feel her play with my hair, to hear her pray while I snuggle into the old and comfy blankets on her bed... there are so many things. But I know that one day I will see her again. She has passed on her faith, and I am determined NOT to let go. When I do finally get to see her again, I know that it will be a sweet reunion. I know that she is healthy, whole, and well. That means so much, But I also know that she is with my precious little Baby Hope who went to be with Jesus on March 5, 2005, my Abuela's very own birthday. These two dear ones that I love so much are together and waiting...

That leads me to another "passing on"...

My husband's uncle, Pasquale, went to be with Jesus yesterday. After a long bout with Alzheimers and other physical things, he gave his final breath and, we believe, He saw the face of our most wonderful Saviour and Lord, Jesus. Please pray for all of his family and my mother-in-law who is his sister.

5 comments:

  1. celita that was a precious tribute to your grandmother. it's obvious that she was a great influence in your life and it's wonderful to know that you have hung on to her example and passing it on to your children. it is very sad that our uncle has passed on as well but he has joined the so many other believers that could not wait to meet their saviour...and neither can I.

    ReplyDelete
  2. May the sweet memories you have of your uncle be of comfort to you during this difficult time. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sad to hear of the passing of your family members. That's really tough to not be in their presence in anymore. You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your grandmother sounds like a wonderful person. And my sympathies on the passing of your uncle.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so sorry for your losses. My heart goes out to you. May God be with you as you grieve.

    ReplyDelete