Friday, June 17, 2011

Permanency. Worth Pondering...


This image found at whatwouldmomsay.com. I think it is a lovely piece of practical, recycled art. (Anyone who knows me well, knows that I love to take something old and find a new use for it. Makes for added character.) :-)

Funny thing... I wrote this post in text language to myself and saved it on my cell phone. Never expected to do that, especially to myself; but at the time, I was deep in thought and did not want to forget this thought as I have so many other private conversations with myself. I was busy... Okay, I was cleaning the bathroom.

Do YOU find that your mind wanders as you are doing your chores? I mean, is it really that much fun to think about every bitty part of the process of cleaning something you have cleaned over and over for years? hahaha... So, I allow my mind to wander. I have some of my best pondering moments in those free-thought moments. I just often forget them before I remember to write them down. I hope this one makes sense to you as it did to me as I was... Um, cleaning the royal throne. (Giggling inserted here)

"we hav a fals sens of permanenc. As I ws clening da bathrm ths morn, I thaut..."

Oh, excuse me, that is what my first line said. ;-)

Now I will go ahead and translate the rest. Hah!

"We have a false sense of permanency. As I was cleaning the bathroom this morning, I thought about how tubs and toilets stay with a house when one transfers from one house to live in another. They are considered a permanent fixture. Right? Yet, how often have I seen one of these objects on the curb to send to the dump, or old tubs used for potting plants, watering animals, or on standby against a shed until an oversized comforter needs to be washed by hand (since it does not fit in the washing machine)?

I think that this lack of understanding of permanence affects our perspective of eternity. When Jesus makes the statement, "until the end of the age", does it fill me with a surge of excitement or am I so filled with doubt or complacency that I say in the deepest, private parts of myself, "We will see"? When the Bible speaks of "eternal life", do I ache with longing or does it get lost in the mix of things in my brain?

"per·ma·nent [pur-muh-nuhnt]
adjective
1. existing perpetually; everlasting, especially without significant change.
2. intended to exist or function for a long, indefinite period without regard to unforeseeable conditions: a permanent employee; the permanent headquarters of the United Nations.
3. long-lasting or nonfading: permanent pleating; permanent ink."

(I got this definition from Dictionary.com)

I hope you will notice with me the examples they give for things that are "permanent", and yet, we know that ultimately these things are still only temporary. They may last in a certain location or position for a long time, but that is not the same thing as PERMANENT.

The Bible is clear that all things rust, get destroyed, fail to function at some point or another. That is why we have RUINS. Moths will destroy cloth, water will cause mold or rust, fire will burn, etc... Nothing lasts forever. Or is that completely true?

We can hold on to this!! There is something that is constant, sure, and true. There is something that will never let us down. Or rather SomeONE. His name is Jesus.

While every other person can and, most likely, will let me down at one point or another in my life, He has promised that His love will never fail. While I may feel lonely and abandoned by others, He has promised to never leave or forsake me. While I may make so many mistakes and have the hardest time getting back on my feet, Jesus is there ready to help me up, to encourage me, to just say "I love you" in ways that He knows touch me to the deepest parts of MY soul. Jesus has said in His word that He is "the same yesterday, today, and forever." (Hebrews 13:8)He never changes. He is... and that is it.

That overwhelms me with awe and joy. Our Abba Papa loves us THAT much. He is ALWAYS there. ALWAYS. Everlasting. Forever. For all eternity.

Now that is what I call Faithful. That is what I will trust in. That is a permanent Love. Permanency expressed in the fullest sense.

Trust Him. Hope in Him. Talk to Him. Never let go of Him. Seek Him. Desire Him more than anyone or anything else. Watch Him make something beautiful out of your days, out of your life. He will, because... He is what He said He is.


My other two blogs...
Tongue-Tried Bilinguist
Daysease

4 comments:

  1. Celita,
    I was thinking the same thing the other day - that no matter what, Jesus will always be there for me. He truly wants goodness to come my way, and that is one thing I can be sure of. I wanted to tell you that you can post the Welcome Flag that's on our Blog. Jess took that picture, so be sure to mention us. Have a great weekend.
    ~Sheri at Red Rose Alley

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you!! Yes, absolutely will mention where I got it from... Have a great weekend as well!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Was there "good" manure in the toilet when the flowers were planted?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing what can come to us while cleaning the toilet!! Indent same thing because I don't want to think about what I'm doing because i don't like it and it's something that needs to get done! Thanks for sharing your thoughts :)

    ReplyDelete